Saturday 15 June 2024

Cáceres

SATURDAY

A long distance cyclist heading in the opposite direction. Catherine already well into her journey starting from Tarifa the most southerly point in Spain. She's from Bristol. More surprisingly she's aiming to get to the North Cape inside 3 months. We chatted about bikes, navigation and left going different directions. My first meeting with a touring cyclist and her second.

My tyre was losing air so I planned to fit a new inner tube on the way. It was quietly disintegrating and I made the change when arriving in my hostel in Cáceres. The city was buzzing with European football on tv with Spain winning their match. The old city a labyrinth of narrow steep streets and a long history involving Roman and Moorish occupation. Many tourists here and I find it unsettling after the stillness of the countryside and the low key overnight stays since leaving Madrid. A wedding party exits the cathedral. Perfect weather for guests to stroll about the Plaza Mayor closeby. In fact the whole town population appears to be out dressed up to walk the streets. I finally track down a bank which doesn't charge a big commission for dispensing cash. Santander Bank.

A peregrino I meet in the hostel leaves at 4am to beat the heat of the afternoon. I've joined the Via de la Plata, one of my aims of the trip.



Sent from my Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment