Wednesday 22 April 2015

Ottoman Bridge on route to Macedonia

The Skhumbin flows rapidly under the Ottoman Bridge just beyond Mirake and the gradual climb continues. The real climb is at Qafe Thane, qafe being Albanian for pass. The Macedonia border staff remember Diana, Princess of Wales, when I explained Cardiff was in Wales. It was one of those moments you remember from a lonely journey. Also the fact that some country boundaries have natural geographic physical limitations.
Struga on Lake Ohrid is so different to Elbasen. Refreshingly upbeat and a relaxed atmosphere.
Cycling has limited me to the roads (mainly) but my book 'Via Egnatia on foot' has kept me in touch with the ancient route to Istanbul and beyond.

5 comments:

  1. Stunning photos. Macedonia is a beautiful place but you will soon be leaving and heading into Greece. Well done and continue to enjoy this wonderful journey. Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't anticipate the snow capped mountain ranges. Apparently snow capped for 6 months of the year. Lake Ohrid is beautiful. The journey moves into Greece tomorrow and back to spending Euros which is less complicated xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I am reading your blog backwards, which is quite interesting. The bridge looks very old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. Great to be able to picture where you are passing through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bridge was one I managed to get to on my bike as it was not very distant from the road. It is included in the 'VE on Foot' book which helped too

      Delete