Tuesday 28 April 2015

Egnatia Odos ie the modern highway

Stavros is the Greek name for 'cross' meaning Christian Cross. It is today a run down place amongst many along the waterfront in the direction of Amphibole and Kavala.
Ancient archaeological sites are common. Between mountains and coastline the ancient VE is now signposted as Egnatia Osos or modern Egnatia. Lesser more elevated roads allow travel off this major highway.
A section through run down coastal towns is ended nearing Amphipole with a stampede of wild boar. Startled by my appearance they disappeared into the long grass. About eight of them I would say. A change from loose dogs, guarding property, which take a big dislike to bikes! Not just mine .... I saw a local used his bike as a defence against one and that dog was with his owner.
Standing on guard the Lion of Amphipole is a memorable sight. Excavated from the river bank, a funerary monument to Laomedon, a great admiral and friend of Alexander the Great.
Dropping steeply down into Kavala where remnants of the original Roman VE construction still exist.

8 comments:

  1. Although I haven't read everything yet, I haven't had a phone for nearly 2 weeks now as it broke a week ago Saturday, I have seen the pictures on my lunch break on work computer and it looks like you have made amazing progress and seen some beautiful sites a long the way. Will have a read when new phone up and running. Well done Dad, you must be so tired x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How has accommodation finding been? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly booked in advance and not many hostels which can make it a bit lonely in hotels/guest houses etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom I'm wondering if you're keeping a list of places you've stayed you might be able to share at a later date?

      Delete
    2. I have all the accomm details which you are welcome to have and remind me to send them to you later. They are all booked with Booking.com in advance and therefore limited to an extent. My cycling schedule is pretty rigid as you can see. Some cheaper hostels but mainly costing £25 to £30 per night mostly including breakfast.

      Delete
    3. Brilliant. I used booking.com for some of my stays along the Via Francigena. Worked well and got some good deals.

      Delete
  4. Great tour Tom! … I intended to tour North Greece, but never found time to do it … it is nice to do it just this period of the year or September – October when I am busy … May – August id too hot pedal there

    ReplyDelete