Sunday 25 September 2022

Summary in Sarzana





The Via Francigena (red and white markers) meet the Via della Costa (two directional arrows) at the Cathedral in Sarzana. A photo of the Cathedral Santa Maria Assunta for the record, there's nobody at home to register the journey.

Pisa is my next destination but this is where the real 'pilgrimage' journey ends. Connecting the Camino de Santiago with the Via Francigena. Arles was the 'moment of truth' town for mediaeval pilgrims arriving from Central Europe. West to Santiago de Compostela or East to Rome. 

My itinerary was set before I left home.

Pilgrimage routes:
Camino Francés/Chemin d'Arles in France
Via Aurelia in France
Via della Costa in Italy
Via Francigena in Italy

Roman roads:
Via Tolosana
Via Aurelia

On the very flat plain to Pisa in Luni what's left of a 7,000 capacity amphitheatre remains isolated fron the modern world. A young man provides an entry ticket costing 1Euro.

Rain becomes torrential by the time I arrive in Pisa. My cardboard bike box is ready at the bike rental shop. The dismantled bike and soaking gear is bundled in. The cycling is over.

Sandra is flying into Pisa and we will spend time in Florence. 



Sent from my Galaxy

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tom, I thought the chairs in the amphitheatre were cattle at first glance! Very well done and have a great time in Florence with Sandra. Love to you both.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another epic journey Tom. I’ve so much enjoyed a daily dose of a different world. Congratulations. Have a great time with Sandra and see you when you’re back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Neil. Cycling adventure challenging and rewarding mostly. Florence like Rome (from your observation) failing to impress in a number of respects.

      Delete
  3. An amazing adventure. Sounds very rainy. I should say sounded… it’s good to see you complete this epic part of the pilgrimage 💪🏽🙌🏼😍 What have you felt? I hope you and Sandra enjoy Florence together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reply to anonymous, it rained 2 days during cycling so no complaint. Irritating it was torrential for my last 5kms as I was soaked for period to pack my bike in box. I felt very motivated up to Arles with some contact with other 'pilgrims'. Arles towards Rome was more like a cycling journey which had a special moment as I met my previously completed Via Francigena in Sazarna

      Delete