Sunday 4 September 2022

Pau on the Via Tolosana




 






In the morning sunshine on a tranquil French Sunday the town of Orthez reveals properly how lovely it is. On the River Ouse which I have shadowed from its outlet in Biarritz my journey will depart from its course here in Pau. Pau with it's castle where once King Henry IV of France lived in sight of the Pyrenees Mountains. Impressive and importantly for me on the Via Tolosana or Chemin d'Arles pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostella.


I cross paths with a French couple on their camino route from Le Puy. It is blazingly hot at 40° on the road  and 35°+ in the shade and there is little shade in this very agricultural part of South Western France. Countless fields of mauze and sunflowers (past their best now).

Moving eastwards on the Via Tolosana in the reverse direction to the few pilgrim walkers and more distant from the Basque Region.





Sent from my Galaxy





7 comments:

  1. Bon voyage mon ami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 40 degrees..go easy in the heat X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking regular breaks in the shade, especially on long uphill sections

      Delete
  3. Good to track your progress, Tom - a cool wind (or breeze rather) is called for. Take it easy - best, Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working hard at trying to keep it easy ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very hot! I agree… what a beautiful place. 😀 Caroline

    ReplyDelete