Monday 21 October 2019

Random thoughts in Tasucu

An odd selection of thoughts as the day is spent waiting for the overnight ferry to Cyprus or Kibris as its known in Turkey.

Wales beat France against the run of play, listening to online BBC Wales radio coverage, but a team on a roll manage to do that. I'm really thrilled for the players and realize France must feel hugely disappointed. Wifi signal outside Hotel Fatih was just enough for me to follow the radio commentary.

The waterside cafe owner has a fishing rod which he uses when there are no orders. He is the cook and a burger and chips here is so much more acceptable than the kebab stuff in most other places. I've surprised myself by the struggle I've had with 'street food' but whether you are in or out its still 'street food'....kebabs! And there's Ayran the jogurt drink served with your food.

Conditions crossing Anatolia in October are bearable but its a very long haul cycling the main highways. The highway road surfaces are excellent which makes it a difficult decision to stray far from them. Fuel services stations provide the only sensible refreshment stops... iced Nescafe is the closest to a cappuccino.

Meeting Anatolian Shepherd or Kangal Shepherd dogs is nerve racking but you get over it and a handful of stones gives one an added confidence. 

Rubbish litters the roadside everywhere. Plastic water bottles and soft drink bottles most noticeable. The extent of single use plastic is heartbreaking when we take measures to reduce. Even a can of coke is handed over in a bag.

The Muslim 'call to prayer' is a five times a day practice (loudly) broadcasted over speakers from local mosques. The dawn one currently falls at about 6am each morning and the resulting activity kicks off my own preparations for the day ahead. 

A couple of images, at the bakery where they make very good bread and outside my hotel hanging around waiting to catch my overnight ferry. And one of the (miserable) passenger waiting zone at the ferry terminal.











Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

4 comments:

  1. A time to reflect, I was right it seems. Sad to hear about the single use plastic, I hope they catch up with the more developed countries in due course :(. I dreamt of those Shepherd or Kangal Shepherd dogs the other day, I must have been anxious for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scared about the shepherd dogs!!!! ,🤔

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your descriptions are bringing so many images to mind for me,Dad, really enjoying reading this blog. Great mix of photos too. Nat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have travelled widely and scrambled about some remote places so I understand your comment completely x

      Delete