Saturday 26 October 2019

Beit Nehemia (near Ben Gurion airport) to Jerusalem

I expected to arrive in Israel and find myself rolling effortlessly into Jerusalem. Ben Gurion airport is outside the modern high rise city of Tel Aviv with the Israel Trail passing relatively closeby.

In isolation in the weirdest Air B&B imaginable, an open sided kibbutz style structure in an ecological park, my start was early. No dinner, no breakfast and the Israel Trail to follow.

Perservering on the Trail for over 30kms, often at my limit pushing bike and baggage over the rocks, it was clear this Trail is for walking. Shadowing the West Bank Palestinian Territory border it was gruelling and I switched to a direct route to Jerusalem. The intensity of traffic was nerve racking and climbing went on relentlessly. I gave up on my plan to make Bethlehem and in desperation aimed for Jerusalem. I could not find a safe way into the city,  clambered onto a bus full of people, the driver could see my predicament and slumped out at the bus station in Jerusalem city center. That bus driver was the kindest person....I was very fortunate!

I was in Jerusalem but not celebrating, only feeling the relief of being off the highway and at the end of fierce climbing. 



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment