Saturday 11 June 2016

Tsar's Road into Belarus













The road through the forest of Bialowieski is named the Tsar's Road and was formerly a military route joining Hajanowka in Poland with Pruzhany in Belarus. It's about 70 kms long and almost deserted! Rather disconcerting after very thorough checking of my papers at  border control and being the only one visitor crossing in that hour or so. I decided against any photos!

The Balioweski Reserve is the last remaining untouched area of woodlands that once covered most of Europe before Mesolithic humans began clearing the forest to breed animals and farm the land. Certain species of trees and plants exist here only. European bison live in the forest after being reintroduced 85 years ago. A squirrel with a blackish body and red tail, storks and I even saw a cuckoo close up which is certainly the first time ever!













My fear of having not a single ruble was over in Pruzhany where I found a cashpoint in the centrally located town hall (if that's what it was?). Nervously I withdrew 850,000 Belarussian rubles worth about 40 Euros - I couldn't bring myself to cash a million!

My hotel was accessed via a food store as entrance door was locked and I (finally) approached the cashier who led me through. This after being directed out of town in a rainstorm to a hotel where the receptionist looked horrified to see me.

My paperwork for the booking was produced. The officially stamped document which was named in my visa and obtained by me online with a Belarussian hotel reservation company was accepted. The process of obtaining this reservation is simply too long to explain!

Things are different here in Belarus!

6 comments:

  1. You are doing great Tom! Although I would take the million.
    What about friendliness of the people?
    Take care and happy biking. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alexander
      Maybe I go for a Million in Minsk?
      People here don't easily smile and there is a sense of things happening behind closed doors. Good scene for an up and coming 'underground' band prepared to shake things up a bit! You know what I mean 😉

      I am blundering my way through and that's usually the best method to make some contact.

      WiFi is great here buy no coffee shops! Well I cant find them but maybe they are behind those closed doors.

      Going carefully thanks

      Delete
  2. Whilst reading the book 'No Place Like Home- Thank God' the author has the same dilemma at the cashpoint and felt to request a million roubles seemed a 'dangerous extravagance'. He also mentions that of 9000 cycle bloggers only 2 have visited Belarus - you are the third!! Behind those closed doors someone is always watching you - maybe the KGB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, if I was Alain de Botton I could gave just read the book! It isn't the same as being here really.
      Nobody hangs around much here or any other place I have visited in Belarus. You have to find first then get behind those closed doors 😉
      Thanks for getting a google account x

      Delete
  3. Gosh a different world it seems! Lovely to see unique trees and shrubs and the cuckoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of the species origins rather than recognise them. A botanist once mentioned in connection with my Sustrans wildlife involvement.
      The cuckoo was cuckooing in a tree and flew down right in front of me x

      Delete