Wednesday 7 October 2020

Stage 5 Giro d' Italia near Pizzo

Today was a real thrill to witness the peleton in full flow attacking the climb out of Pizzo. 

With some intuitive planning my route towards Pizzo drifted across towards the mountains where I guessed the race would head. With enormous luck I arrived at a road junction, suitably blocked by the local Carabinieri, minutes before the convoy of motorcycles, support vehicles, filming crews, Polizia and the race riders themselves. The peleton passed in a flash with an intensity which is hard to describe. 

The convoy of vehicles followed and finally the Polizia brought up the rear and gave the Carabinieri officer the all clear. We had time to chat. He recommended the local Pizzo icecream called Tartufo. I did. Delicious too!

I won't forget Pizzo because of the race but it's actually a great little Calabrian town.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

2 comments: