Saturday 26 September 2020

Rome and Roman Roads


I find the shuttle bus from Fiumicino airport following the Via Aurelia into central Rome.

Being relatively familiar with the Via Appia, which leaves the ancient Roman Forum heading south, it interests me to note the existence of the Via Aurelia entering Rome from the north. A little research shows me the main Roman roads in Italy and the Via Aurelia is one of them. Map (thanks to google) attached. The Via Appia is another and this is the road I will once again take out of Rome tomorrow. Reaching Capua in a few days my journey will divert from the Via Appia onto the Via Popilia heading to the 'toe' of Italy. 

Whatever the Roman roads were called the modern (and developing) Eurovelo cycling network shows the route I will be taking as Eurovelo Route 7. 

Today it has been rather overcast as a couple of images will show. It will be raining tomorrow.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

3 comments: