Sunday 3 May 2015

Kesan to Tekirdag

Tekirdag is on the Sea of Marmara, a sea entirely bordered by Turkey. The main highway there is the only real choice for cyclists and probably walkers. It rolls on and on and it involves significant climbing over the day. Little chance to see anything historic, if it exists, on or near this stretch.

To my surprise the countryside is very green and mainly cultivated. No scrub areas in these parts. Staff I met in hotels and restaurants were most gracious. I accepted a packaged lucky coin given to me as a gift.

I left Kesan on a dirt track which met the highway 10+km beyond the town. I confess I was happy at first to get back on tar macadam roads. But they were demanding roads wth heavy traffic and the absence of any reference to the Via Egnatia made it a distance focused day.

Its Sunday and the custom in Tekirdag appears to be sipping tea at the water front late into the night. No alcohol anywhere in sight!

At night particularly the Sea of Marmara holds a certain mystique. A vessel, lights twinkling, out at sea could be for effect. I don't know! It is cool in the evening and the steaming hot 'cay' most welcome. Served in shaped glassware it is what everyone drinks. I am conscious of a being in a culture little known or understood by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment